As parents of young children, it's absolutely critical that you have a plan in place to protect them from an uncertain future. It's at least as important as car seats and bike helmets, and certainly more important than the type of stroller that you select!
It's very likely that your children are not old enough to take care of themselves or manage their own money. Your children need your help to plan their future, by designating the people you want to raise them and provide for them financially, until they are grown and on their own.
However, life doesn't have a set timeline. You may not know exactly what to do or where to get started with your planning. The problem is that without planning, you've got a plan - the plan decided by the State of New York. The default plan can never take into account your unique family situation or reflect your own wishes for your children and assets. Simply put, a court will decide what happens.
Our role as attorneys is to help you to get clarity about where things stand right now for you and your family and help you understand the consequences of not having a comprehensive Estate Plan to protect your loved ones. Before meeting, we'll ask you to complete a Family Wealth Inventory and Assessment, which will help you get clear about everything that you own and the decisions you'll make for the well-being and care of your loved ones and cherished belongings.
We will then meet for an Estate Planning & Family Protection Session, where we spend time getting to know you and your family, and what is most important to you. You'll learn about our process that plans for your death and your life, and we will both decide if it makes sense to work together.
Protecting Your Children
Having a simple will is often not sufficient, and does not guarantee the care of your children in the event of the unthinkable.
Your plan must take your children into account, because even though they don't know it, they are counting on you to ensure that they will always be taken care of by the people you want, in the way you want, no matter what happens.
At D'Orazio Peterson we place substantial value in planning for the well-being of our client's families. It is the foundation of everything we do. We firmly believe that without this level of comprehensive legal planning, unthinkable events can (and do) take place:
- Your children could find themselves in "the system", even if you think that you have adequately prepared;
- Your children could be put into the custody and care of someone you would never choose, like the one family member who you don't want raising your kids!
- A court, with no connection to your family, could decide who raises your children.
- A long and nasty custody fight could take place, often among those whom you love the most.
- Tens of thousands of dollars could be lost to court costs and other unnecessary fees through the probate process that can tie up your money and deprive your kids of the resources they need.
- Unscrupulous people can take advantage of children when they turn 18 and receive a lump sum inheritance.
We believe that this can all be avoided with proper planning, which can and will provide you with a level of clarity and relief that you will find extremely helpful. So if you're ready to secure the future of your family, contact us today to schedule an Estate Planning & Family Protection Session.